What I hope to learn in CS3216

Why I joined

The answer is simple and selfish:

  1. I love to learn
  2. I want to join a tight-knit and hardworking community
  3. I believe CS 3216 will offer both of these things.


I have constantly been reminded that if I’m comfortable, I’m not moving forward. This reality reminds me that hard work precedes improvement.

CS 3216 is an opportunity for me to surpass old limits. I’ve found evidence on Github of past students doing so with their final projects that have hundreds of commits from single team members. I am amazed by the motivation of these students and believe a large portion of their success is drawn from being surrounded by peers wanting to achieve greatness as well. I want to join in this fun and push the bar higher then it has been set before.

What I hope to achieve 

Unlike most courses, CS 3216 encourages learning ‘how to learn.’ This skill, in my opinion, is more valuable then any knowledge I could gain. This is something I not only want to improve, but something I have already committed to working on more in my everyday life.

I set out to create one new habit every thirty days that would promote learning and/or building new relationships. Today, I have adopted daily meditation for twenty minutes, reading books on self-improvement (such as 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The Lean Startup), and most recently began teaching myself the Ruby on Rails framework.

I hope the ‘CS 3216 experience’ will further my understanding of how to learn quickly and effectively alongside peers through the process of building full-scale applications.

Comments

Popular Posts